Dredge is a game that I have been wanting to fully complete since its release in 2023. I put off due to just not being in the mood for a fishing sim. Sometimes its just not the vibe, you know? But the time finally came when I just felt like burying myself in my couch and start fishing for fishies, so Dredge got bumped up the list.
I often see Dredge listed in 'cozy games' categories. While I can see how this game might get placed into those lists because it's in the Fishing genre...there's so much unnerving dread and danger while playing this game that makes it hard to fully relax. Even while fishing, shitty fish will just come up and chomp you. Not so cozy.
I know there is a Passive mode which disables threats, which was nice when I was trying to clean up the last couple achievements, but I don't consider that the definitive way to play Dredge, as you miss out on a bunch of cool events. But then again, play how you want!
This game leans into the collectathon element which I love. Give me a game where my goal is collect of all of a thing. And better yet, having rare variants (aberrations; which felt like shinies) pop up which further completes your "Fish Pokedex".
The most tedious thing in this game is filling out those pesky last few aberrations that simply involved some grinding fishing spots. But the game provides you some useful tools that make all that easier (Atrophy is a godsend!).
The score and sound design is great in this game - don't sleep on it. Crank that shit whilst you fish for fishies.
Highly recommend this to anyone looking for a fast, sub-30 hour 100% (you could trim 10 hours off, I was dicking around). Great solid indie title.
No comments:
Post a Comment