Thursday, September 17, 2026

Game Review: Superliminal (100%) - Portals stepcousin

I'd be the first to tell you that I am NO good at puzzle games. Portal and Portal 2 stumped me early on and I had to refer to guides to get through them. But Superliminal wasn't too bad, the logic puzzles were fairly intuitive (save a few) and I so had fun with this one! I enjoyed finding all the little easter eggs and fun secrets throughout. It made me feel smart haha.

The achievements weren't too bad, except for that confounded 30-minute speedrun achievement. I think it used to be 35 minutes before the update (which is much more attainable for us normies). But 30 min is just too much to ask for the casual gamer. I did three solid sub-35m glitchless runs, but could not for the life of me get sub 32m. That involved me me wasting as little time as possible and keeping moving. But those fucking cheese wedges man, they always gave me trouble.

So, to get that final achievement I did use the elevator skip, where at the beginning of Labyrinth the narrator initiates the Emergency Exit Protocol, you jump/clip through the wall into the elevator and it bumps you to the final stage, which saves a TON of time. It didn't feel good to get the achievement this way...

But this game has so many random physics anomalies and unoptimized issues that occur during a speedrun killing the run. So, I fight glitch with glitch. Like that bouncy castle would just sometimes not cooperate, the object collider shooting me into the sky sometimes. Why? Who knows.

On the themeing of the game...This game felt like it took Portal and made a backrooms -baby variation of it. There was some originality of its own of course, but the template is here (waking up in a false bedroom in a wierd company facility, a sarcastic female narrator, there's an orientation with puzzle rooms, you start seeing cracks in the illusion of the facility, etc). I swear I thought this was a horror game in the Blackout chapter. Shows how much of a scaredy pants I am.

And the music... it grew on me. At first I kind of disliked it (just felt like generic piano music), but speedrunning the game I fell in love with it. The jazz drums in the later levels were KILLER, it added to the tension.

Overall a really run brain tickler. I will definitely return to it in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Game Review: Evoland (100%) - beautifully recreates some gaming history while also imitating its frustrations

First off, this game is a nice little break between bigger, tougher games (currently tackling Shovel Knight Treasure Trove, need a gap betwe...